Game Progress Update #54
Hello World! And welcome to the fifty fourth Dev with Dave Game Progress Update!
I’m not sure how, but I have managed to get an absolute pile of work done on the game these last two weeks. I don’t think I’ve been any less busy than usual with other things. Quite the opposite, as it was my girlfriends birthday last weekend and I did the catering for the party, and made and decorated (although badly, lol) a cake.
I think it’s just being refreshed from the Christmas hols 🙂 Anyway, without further ado, let me tell you what I’ve managed to get done.
About Text Scroller
I started by going back to the About text system which I had left unfinished at the end of the last Progress Update.
I tweaked the text scrolling system a little. Introducing variables to replace hard coded values left over from the original proof of concept code. This also made it easier to change the font size, as I needed to increase the size of the text to make it easier to read.
I found an issue when I started adding to the text, where the start/end of the text message would overlap. I fixed this by replacing another fixed value, with a formula to calculate the size of the text body using the text size and the number of lines. This still needs polish, as I think there is too much white space at the beginning and end.
Trophies were next on the list of things to do. I had noticed that the GDD said that the player will receive a coin reward for completing a trophy. This was missed from the original system when it was written.
I decided on having three tiers of rewards for the trophies, depending on how hard the challenge was. Easy trophies reward the player with 10 coins, Harder ones with 50 coins; and the most challenging will give the player 100 coins if they manage to complete it.
I added a new property to the trophies type to store the reward in. As well as a line of code to add the reward to the players coin total.
During my more AFK moments I have been considering how to structure the coin bundles which will be available for the player to purchase.
The goal was always for the entry level purchase to be £0.99 (about $1.20 us or €1.11), and for the top end coin pack to contain enough coins to unlock/upgrade every pickup and powerup.
I calculated that it takes 1500 coins to upgrade an item to maximum. And there are 8 different items to upgrade, so total upgrades would cost 12,000 coins.
Using this information, I decided on the following details for the coin packs.
- Coin pack 1 – 500 coins for £0.99
- Coin pack 2 – 3000 coins for £4.99
- Coin pack 3 – 7500 coins for £9.99
- Coin pack 4 – 20000 coins for £19.99
It didn’t take me long to add this data to the coin store page in the game. Then came time to add the in app purchase code.
In App Purchasing
I had already added one product to the developer console for the Ad removal. Adding four more for the coin packs wasn’t any bother at all.
Once I had set up the console side of things, the next task was to add the code to handle actually purchasing.
This wasn’t as straight forward as I’d hoped as the IAP commands have changed in AGK Studio since I last used them.
I think I have a handle on how the IAP stuff works now, but I need to test it on the device before I can do too much more on this.
I managed to find two new problems this update. The first no doubt was due to me being sleepy/forgetful (Which does happen tbh. I wrongly stated that the scratch cards were complete in the trello.
I actually have a fair bit of work to do to finish these. So I have dragged the card back into the In Progress column.
The second problem was that the quit button in the pause menu doesn’t work. Although hopefully, this will be a cinch to fix.
That’s all for now
And with that, we have reached the end of another progress update. I will be back in two weeks with another. So I’ll see you all then 🙂