Game Progress Update #56

Game Progress Update #56

Hello World! And welcome to the fifty sixth Dev with Dave Game Progress Update.

In App Purchase

I’m sorry if this bit of the update feels a little thin on the ground. I’m not sure how, but I managed to lose my notes from the work I did on Flappy-vaders last week.

I’d already roughed out most of the in app purchase functionality using comment first coding, so it was an easy job to copy the code I had written in a separate project, into the game.

I am aware that there is an issue with the Ad Removal not sticking under certain circumstances. But I think I know what is causing it, and I will get it fixed for the next build.

Graphical Artefacts

I was testing the game and noticed that I was getting graphical errors on the display. This only happened on a mobile device, not on my tablet, so I hadn’t previously noticed it.

As you can see in the image above, there are several artefacts in the top half of the screen. Most noticeable of them all is the one under the A in the logo.

It took me a while to realise where the problem laid. I did eventually work it out however. It was a newly created render surface which hadn’t been cleared.

This was remedied by simply hiding the object until it was required.

Recording footage for promo

I also recorded some of of the game play from Flappy-vaders during any periods where I was testing it. I was considering using it for promotional videos, but I’m not sure.

The videos I recorded are genuine gameplay, and they have on screen debug info in the corner. I think I’d be better off if I created specific scenes in the game. For example, set it to just display pipe zones.

I might have some fun with the footage I have got though. If I get chance.

Releasing the test build

The other big news is that now all of the initial tasks from the Trello have been completed, there was nothing stopping me from starting the testing.

The first email went out to the testers yesterday. If you haven’t received it then be sure to let me know. It contains a link to download the test version if your email address was added to the list of testers.

So far the testing has already revealed a bug I was not aware of, but it has been added to the Trello.

That’s all for now

That’s all I have time for now. I’m currently a couple of hours behind on this blog, and still need to create the social media images.

I’m taking some time off from work the next couple of weeks, so the next Flappy-vaders update won’t be until 31st march 2023. (Says Dave double and triple checking the calendar! lol)

So I’ll see you all then 🙂